Christ has prepared the way for us to return to our Father in Heaven through the atonement.
For a while now, I have been pondering on how we are to prepare in this life and how I personally can prepare for the future. I recently started studying the Book of Mormon by marking every time it makes a reference to preparation or every time it mentions how some person prepares for something ahead of them.
I have found numerous times that the Lord prepares a way for us. He prepares us for the trials that we face and the life that is ahead of us. As we lean on Him and turn to Him, we are and will be prepared for what is ahead.
I like this quote about preparation from M. Russell Ballard. He says:
“We prepare each day, right now, for eternal life. If we are not preparing for eternal life, we are preparing for something else, perhaps something far less.”
We need to be preparing ourselves for those things that are eternal in life. Those are the things of highest priority. Are we preparing ourselves for eternal life? Are we preparing ourselves to live with our Heavenly Father? He has prepared the way for us. Are we walking in that way? Christ said in John 14:6:
“I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
The way to prepare, once again we see, is by coming to Christ and leaning on Him. It is accepting Him as our Savior and Redeemer.
Ways to Prepare
The following is a list of ways we can prepare to live with our Father in Heaven and to come closer to Christ that I have found in my study of the Book of Mormon so far (I have a lot more to go):
- Being obedient (1 Nephi 2)
- Praying in Faith (1 Nephi 2; 15:11; 16:24; 18:21)
- (Nephi) took nothing with him save it were his family, provisions, and tents. (1 Nephi 2:4)
- He built an altar of stones (1 Nephi 2:7)
- Having great desires to know the mysteries of God (1 Nephi 2:16)
- Cry unto the Lord (1 Nephi 2:16,18)
- Keep the commandments (1 Nephi 2:20,22; 15:11; 17:13; 20:18)
- Pray for mercy (1 Nephi 8:8)
- I, (Lehi) cast my eyes round about; that perhaps I might discover my family. (1 Nephi 8:13)
- Press Forward through mist of darkness (1 Nephi 8:21,24,30)
- Cling to or hold fast to the rod of iron, or the word of God (1 Nephi 8:24; 15:24)
- Heed not the scorn and persecution of the world and the worldly (1 Nephi 8:33)
- Exhort others with all the feeling of a tender parent (1 Nephi 8:37)
- Rely on the Redeemer (1 Nephi 10:6)
- Prepare the way for the Lord (1 Nephi 10:7,8)
- Receive the fullness of the Gospel of Christ (1 Nephi 10:14)
- Have faith on the Son of God (1 Nephi 10:17; 12:10,11)
- Diligently seek Christ (1 Nephi 10:17,19)
- Repent and come unto Him (1 Nephi 10:18; 13:40; 14:5)
- Desire, ponder in your heart (1 Nephi 11:1)
- Believe in the Son of the most high God (1 Nephi 11:1,6; 15:11)
- Seek to bring forth the Lord’s Zion (1 Nephi 13:37)
- Endure to the end (1 Nephi 13:37)
- Publish peace and tidings of great joy (1 Nephi 13:37)
- Come unto Him according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb (1 Nephi 13:41)
- Hearken unto the Lamb of God (1 Nephi 14:1; 15:24)
- Harden not your hearts against the Lamb of God (1 Nephi 14:2; 15:11)
- Gather together (1 Nephi 14:13)
- Arm yourself with righteousness and with the power of God (1 Nephi 14:14)
- Humble yourselves (1 Nephi 16:24; 18:4)
- Bear your journeyings without murmuring (1 Nephi 17:2; 18:16)
And the list goes on… There are so many ways that we can be preparing ourselves for eternal life. These are just some of the ways that I have found in the first 50 pages of the Book of Mormon. The scriptures are full of ways to become better people and to fill our lives with joy and peace.
I know that as we prepare ourselves to live with our Heavenly Father again, our lives are filled with more meaning, purpose, and joy. As we do these things, we are filled with the Spirit of the Lord and able to recognize our true identity as sons and daughters of God.